While Salt Lake City, UT, Murray Branch City Carrier Brian Whipple was on his route recently, he noticed a familiar odor. The rotten egg smell infused into natural gas filled the air, and he knew it could spell trouble if not addressed immediately.
Whipple picked up his phone and called the local natural gas company. A company representative thanked him for the information and Whipple continued on his route.
When the company investigated the leak, it discovered a break in the main line. The company evacuated three nearby homes and placed their occupants in a hotel until the situation could be resolved.
Soon after residents were allowed to return to their homes, one customer sent a thank you card to Whipple for his conscientious actions.
“Thank you so much for sniffing gas!” the letter stated. “It’s not much, but I wanted to get you a little something for being alert and preventing my house from blowing up.
“Thanks again! You do a fantastic job and always go above and beyond. I appreciate it!”